Pedestrian Safety is a Key Focus
“If only I’d been watching for pedestrians.” No Regrets When You DRIVE WITH CARE – Message targeted towards drivers.
Pedestrians are a vulnerable road user. Weather walking for enjoyment, exercise or engaged in work on the roadway, they need to be safe. Our goal is to increase driver awareness and education of pedestrian traffic safety. This tip card reminds motorists to:
• Stop for pedestrians crossing at every intersection.
• Stop before tuning right on red.
• Look in all directions before making a turn.
• Do not pass a vehicle that is stopping for pedestrians.
• Obey the traffic laws, signals and speed limits.
No Regrets When You CROSS WITH CARE – Message targeted towards walkers.
Traffic control boxes in high traffic and high pedestrian crash locations in Jacksonville are being wrapped as a positive reminder along our streets as a reminder for everyone to pay attention and follow the rules of the road. Click here to read our blogpost with more about Pedestrian Safety – Traffic Control Box Wraps: “Push, Wait, Walk.”
Double-sided bookmarks were distributed to libraries throughout our 18 counties in Northeast Florida with tips for drivers and pedestrians.
Drivers are a primary target of our messages. The bookmarks remind driver to “Watch for WALKERS!” They also include traffic safety tips and laws:
• STOP for pedestrians in the crosswalk or crossing at an intersection.
• Come to a COMPLETE STOP before turning right on red.
• LOOK in all directions before making a turn.
We also include some general safety tips for pedestrian of all ages, especially children to always “LOOK and LISTEN!”:
• STAY ON THE SIDEWALK.
• If no sidewalk, walk on the far left off the side of the road, facing traffic.
• Cross the street ONLY at corners or CROSSWALKS.
• MAKE SURE DRIVERS SEE YOU.
• Never walk alone or at night.
• DEVICES DOWN, HEADS UP!
Pedestrian and Bicycle Combined Safety
A poster was distributed which included both bicycle and pedestrian safety. Click here to view and print this Share the Road traffic safety poster as a printable 11×17 PDF file.
The Jacksonville Sheriff’s Office promoted this safety message on large, digital billboards. The City of St. Augustine, Police Department and Sheriff’s Office joined forces in St. Johns County to promote these biking, walking and driving safe messages, including posting billboards in high traffic areas around the county.
Pedestrian Safety for KIDS: Be Smart. Walk Safe. Check out our safety activity sheets for children.
Pedestrian Safety Social Media Graphic – Free Resource
Be a Community Traffic Safety Team “Virtual Volunteer” and share these images on your social media accounts. Don’t forget to tag us! @trafficsafetyteam on Facebook and Instagram or @trafficsafetyfl on Twitter and Pinterest
Read More About Pedestrian Safety in Northeast Florida