FY 2022 Subgrant Concept Papers are now being Accepted!
The FDOT District Two, Community Traffic Safety Program would like to remind our traffic safety partners that the FDOT State Safety Office is accepting concept papers for subgrant funding consideration until February 28, 2021.
What are FDOT Subgrants?
The Florida Department of Transportation (FDOT) State Safety Office awards subgrants to traffic safety partners that undertake priority area programs and activities to improve traffic safety and reduce crashes, serious injuries, and fatalities. Subgrants may be awarded for assisting in addressing traffic safety deficiencies, expansion of an ongoing activity, or development of a new program.
Subgrants are awarded to state and local safety-related agencies as “seed” money to assist in the development and implementation of programs in traffic safety priority areas. Funding for these subgrants are apportioned to states annually from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) according to a formula based on population and road miles. Occasionally, additional funding may be available for projects in other program areas if there is documented evidence of an identified problem.
Priority areas to improve traffic safety and reduce crashes, serious injuries, and fatalities:
Aging Road Users
Community Traffic Safety
Occupant Protection and Child Passenger
Safety Pedestrian and Bicycle Safety
Police Traffic Services
Speed and Aggressive Driving
Teen Driver Safety
Traffic Record Coordinating Committee (TRCC)
Work Zone Safety
Who is Eligible to Apply for a Subgrant?
Many types of organizations are eligible to receive traffic safety subgrant funding: government agencies, political subdivisions of state, local, city and county government agencies, law enforcement agencies, state colleges and state universities, school districts, fire departments, public emergency service providers, and certain qualified non-profit organizations (e.g., MADD, SADD, etc.).
What is the Funding Cycle?
Subgrants are awarded on a federal fiscal year basis (October 1–September 30). Below is a timeline of the subgrant process.
- January 1–Last day of February—Entities interested in applying for funding submit concept papers describing their proposed efforts for the next award cycle beginning October 1.
- August–September—Entities are notified as to whether or not their concept paper has been selected and additional information on how to complete the Subgrant for Highway Safety Funds.
- October 1—Subgrant fiscal year begins
- September 30—Subgrant fiscal year ends
FDOT Overview for Traffic Safety Subgrants
- Grant applications are DUE February 28, 2021
- Applications are fully electronic
- Each agency must assign TWO administrators to use the system
- Subrecipient administrator request form must be completed
- Send completed form to Danielle King: firstname.lastname@example.org
Detailed Information and Resources Available Online
- Go to FDOT Traffic Safety Grants to learn more about the:
• Selection Process
• Data Matrices
• How to Submit a Concept Paper
• Sample Concept Papers
- Got to FDOT Traffic Safety Subgrants for:
• Funding Cycle
• Links to additional related pages
- Fiscal Year 2022 Highway Safety Concept Paper Instructions (PDF file)