Pedestrian Safety is a Key Focus for Your Community Traffic Safety Team
Drivers are a primary target of our pedestrian safety messages. The bookmarks remind driver to “Watch for WALKERS!”
They also include traffic safety tips and laws:
- STOP for pedestrians in the crosswalk or crossing at an intersection
- Come to a COMPLETE STOP before turning right on red.
- LOOK in all directions before making a turn.
We also include some general safety tips for pedestrian of all ages, especially children to always “LOOK and LISTEN!”:
- STAY ON THE SIDEWALK, if no sidewalk, walk on the far left off the side of the road, facing traffic.
- Cross the street ONLY at corners or CROSSWALKS.
- MAKE SURE DRIVERS SEE YOU.
- Never walk alone or at night.
- DEVICES DOWN, HEADS UP!
“If only I’d been watching for pedestrians.” No Regrets When You DRIVE WITH CARE – Pedestrian Safety message targeted towards drivers.
As part of our pedestrian traffic safety awareness and education, this tip card reminds drivers to:
- Stop for pedestrians crossing at every intersection and in crosswalks.
- Stop before tuning right on red.
- Look in all directions before making a turn.
- Do not pass a vehicle that is stopping for pedestrians.
- Obey the traffic laws, signals and speed limits.
Posters distributed include both bicycle and pedestrian safety. The Jacksonville Sheriff’s Office promoted this safety message on large, digital billboards. The City of St. Augustine, Police Department and Sheriff’s Office joined forces in St. Johns County to promote these biking, walking and driving safe messages, including posting billboards in high traffic areas around the county.
“If only I’d been looking out for cars.” No Regrets When You CROSS WITH CARE – Pedestrian Safety message targeted towards walkers
Traffic control boxes in high traffic and high pedestrian crash locations in Jacksonville are being wrapped as a positive reminder along our streets as a reminder for everyone to pay attention and follow the rules of the road. Click here to read more about our Pedestrian Safety – Traffic Control Box Wraps: “Push, Wait, Walk”
RESOURCES – Pedestrian Safety Tool Kit
Press Releases and Social Media Messages
|Press Release – Anytown Students Warn Pedestrians and Drivers||SRTS step-by-step-walking-school-bus|
Graphics and Logos